In November 2002 John Kerle started an organization known today as Charitable Deeds and Services. With the help of the community and the Good Lord, Charitable Deeds and Services has grown into more than we could ever have dreamed. In 2017 John stepped down as President of the organization due to some health issues. In a meeting of volunteers, Bobbi Wolfgong was elected President and John Kerle Vice President. New bylaws were drawn up and approved at this same meeting. There are rumors currently going around which we have decided to address.
In July, we made some changes to days and times that we helped people with their utilities. Before, we were only open on Mondays. Now we are open Mondays and Tuesdays 9am – 12pm for financial aid appointments. We are open Wednesday, Thursday and Friday as our schedule permits for additional financial appointments. ALL volunteers were told if they wanted they could come in any days we were open.
We were receiving too many phone calls from people needing our help due to shut offs. Most utility companies have not been giving 10-day and 3-day notice and lot of families were getting their utilities shut off before the Monday appointments came around so we decided to have two days of appointments for utilities, with John and Bobbi doing a few throughout the week if the utility was going to be shut off before Monday. By doing this we are preventing a lot of families from getting their utilities shut off. It has been insinuated that Charitable Deeds is no longer helping people in the community. That could not be further from the truth.
Charitable Deeds has always and will always give to the poor and needy 100%. We help needy households with financial assistance up to $200 once per 12-month period. We have garage sales once a month with items that are donated directly for the garage sale or that come in as a donation. If there is anyone needing items in our garage sale but can’t afford it, they can fill out an application and we will give it to them at no charge. They fill out the application to verify their income and expenses and this goes toward their annual $200 assistance. All money raised at these garage sales is put into the Charitable Deeds checking account to help the poor and needy with their utilities, etc.. The money raised at the garage sales is needed to keep helping the number of families we see each month. There are no paid employees of Charitable Deeds therefore 100% of what is donated or raised goes back to help the less fortunate in the community.
It has also been said Second Harvest food bank is no longer happening. This is not true. Charitable Deeds and three area churches sponsor the food bank each month and dates are as follows: September 27th, October 25th, November 13th and December 5th. Charitable Deeds from the beginning has put their faith in the hands of the Lord. That’s what we will continue to do.
Anyone with any concerns can call John at 814-221-9966 or Bobbi at 814-797-0286. Instead of spreading rumors, please call and get it straight from the horse’s mouth. We believe the hearsay needed to be addressed and set straight. All volunteers are still welcome!!
“God has brought you through before, and he will bring you through again. Make a decision, each day, to choose faith over fear.” The Lord will prevail.
There has not been a newsletter the last few months because of some personal issues. Now that things have somewhat settled we can get back to monthly newsletters. Our apologies to any of you that have missed our newsletter.
- The next “All You Can Eat” Spaghetti Dinner will be held on September 15th from 3:30 -7 p.m. at the Wolf’s Den. Anyone wishing to help or bake a cake or two can contact Bobbi. We are always looking for someone to help with cleanup so if you are interested in helping with cleanup, just show up at 6 p.m. to help. The 2018 spaghetti dinners are scheduled September 15th and November 10th.
- September 15th is going to be a big day at the Wolfs Den Campground resort. They will be helping Charitable Deeds with our Spaghetti Dinner and we will be helping them with their Veteran’s Fundraiser Campaign. In 2017 Wolf’s Campground Resort raised and donated $14,300.00 with this fundraiser to Charitable Deeds’ Veterans fund. Let’s make September 15th a great day by coming out in support of Charitable Deeds and The Wolf’s Den Campground Resort with both fundraisers.
- We are open on Monday and Tuesdays from 8am to 12pm for anyone needing Free Clothing and Furniture. If you have any questions, please call 814-221-9966 and speak to John. We are looking for volunteers to help on these days. John is also looking for someone to help pick up furniture; if you are interested in volunteering for a couple of hours you can call 814-221-9966. What an amazing feeling you get when you help your neighbors and family.
- We are open 9am – 12pm for Financial Assistance (weekly) by appointment only.
- We still are in need of lift chairs for the elderly and disabled. Also, if anyone has any dressers that they would like to donate we still need them. We are also looking for mattress and box springs that are clean and have no stains on them. If you would like to donate to Charitable Deeds, please call John for pick up.
- The schedule for the 2nd Harvest Food Giveaway (monthly) for Clarion County only is: September 27th, October 25th, November 13th (Tuesday) and December 5th (Wednesday). This food give-away is located at 260 High Point Rd, Knox, PA 16232 at 11 am at the Charitable Deeds building. Each month we supply approximately 160 families with a shopping cart of food. If you have any medium size boxes that you would like to donate to Charitable Deeds for this event, please drop them off at the Charitable Deeds building on Mondays or Tuesdays between 8am and 12pm. We would like to “Thank” the Wolfs Den for the use of their parking lot for this event.
- The next Charitable Deeds Huge 7,200 Square Foot Garage Sale will be held on September 20th, 21st and 22nd from 8am -2pm. It is located at 200 High Point Road, Knox PA 16232. There are many new and gently used items. If you have any items, you would like to donate to this sale please contact John Kerle at 814-221-9966.
Let’s just stop for now, and pray for those on our Prayer List. If you know of anyone that needs to be added or
deleted, please contact Bobbi at 814-782-3733.
God will give you strength when you think you can’t go on. He will give you joy when you should be discouraged. He can make a way when it looks impossible. Give your troubles to the Lord – He holds you in the palm of His hand.
That’s all for now, just remember you are still our favorite people
God Bless you all – Keep smiling
John Kerle (814)-221-9966 & Bobbi Wolfgong (814)221-8987